Our sweet girl Shelby had surgery yesterday.
She has always had problems with her hind legs and in recent months it just seems to have gotten worse and worse, to the point she couldn't bear weight at all on her right rear leg. We took her in for a consult and were told what we already knew, that she would need surgery. So yesterday she had a femoral plateau leveling osteotomy along with some other stuff that I can't remember the name of. Her main diagnosis was a medial luxating patella, but they had concerns about her femur being curved that were confirmed when they got into surgery which lead to the leveling.
It seems, as odd as it may sound, that the easy part is over. The hard part will be the at least 8 weeks of recovery time. Dr. Keller (who looks EXACTLY like my uncle and is so sweet) said that for the first 4 weeks she needs to "be a rug"...yea. I go today to pick her up at around 3 and I am sooo nervous and scared for the next chapter. If she doesn't stay still and calm for at least these next 4 weeks she could cause the screws and plate in her lower femur to break out of the bone which I'm sure will cause a lot of pain, and another surgery.
Please keep your fingers crossed and send up a prayer for us, we are going to need all the help we can get!
4 days ago




1 comment:
Oh Poor Shelby! I'll definitely pray for calm doggies and complete healing from this surgery. I know its stressful!
Post a Comment